Maria Kanellou was born in Athens. She studied at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and at UCL. She has previously worked at UCL, KCL, the University of Kent and OUC.
Her research focuses on ancient Greek epigram. She has co-organized three international conferences on epigram and Theocritus and is currently working on the publication of two collective volumes. Her doctoral thesis, which offers a diachronic and motif-based analysis of Greek erotic epigram, is under contract for publication by Oxford University Press.
- Greek Epigram from the Hellenistic to the early Byzantine Era (2019, Oxford) [co-edited with Ivana Petrovic and Chris Carey]
- Erotic Greek Epigram: A Diachronic Approach (forthcoming, Oxford)
- Palladas of Alexandria and the New Papyrus P. CtYBR inv. 4000 [co-edited with Chris Carey]
- Erudition and Allusion in Theocritus (to be published in the series Hellenistica Groningana) [co-edited with Styliani Hatzikosta and Chris Carey]
- «Tombe/tombeau», in Dictionnaire des images métapoétiques anciennes, J.-Ph. Guez, F. Klein, J. Peigney and E. Prioux (eds.), Classiques Garnier (forthcoming)
- «Vénus/Cupidon», in Dictionnaire des images métapoétiques anciennes, J.-Ph. Guez, F. Klein, J. Peigney and E. Prioux (eds.), Classiques Garnier (forthcoming)
- «The Curious Case of Philaenis in AP 7.345 = Ath. Deipn. 8.335B: An Early Fictitious Mock Epitaph by Aeschrion», in La féminité dans les arts hellénistiques: voix, genre, representations, C. Cusset, P. Belenfant and C.-E. Nardone (eds.), Hellenistica Groningana, Leuven, Paris, Bristol, CT (2020), 269-94
- «Mythological Burlesque and Satire in Greek Epigram—A Case Study: Zeus’ Seduction of Danae», in Greek Epigram from the Hellenistic to the early Byzantine Era, Oxford (2019), 249-71
- «Introduction», in Greek Epigram from the Hellenistic to the early Byzantine Era, Οxford (2019), 1-16 [together with Ι. Petrovic και C. Carey]
- «Eros and the Erotes: From the Archaic Erotic Poetry into the Hellenistic Epigram and Beyond», in Past and Present in Hellenistic Poetry, M. A. Harder, R. F. Regtuit and G. C. Wakker (eds.), Hellenistica Groningana 21, Belgium (2017), 137-59
- «Ἑρμιόνην, ἣ εἶδος ἔχε χρυσέης Ἀφροδίτης (Od. 4.14): Praising a Female through Aphrodite – From Homer into Hellenistic Epigram», in Homeric Receptions Across Generic and Cultural Contexts, A. Efstathiou and I. Karamanou (eds.), Τrends in Classics 37, Berlin (2016), 189-204
- «Lamp and Erotic Epigram: How An Object Sheds Light On The Lover’s Emotions», in Eros in Ancient Greece, E. Sanders, C. Thumiger, C. Carey and N. Lowe (eds.), Oxford (2013), 277-92