Byzantine Archaeology and Art (2000)
Born in 1930 in Athens. Graduate of the University of Athens and Doctor of Philosophy of the University of Thessaloniki.
Expert in Byzantine ecclesiastical architecture and Byzantine and Post-Byzantine painting (frescoes, icons, miniatures). He has conducted excavations in Epirus and Acarnania, and conservation and maintenance of hundreds of icons and dozens of monuments in Western Greece and abroad. He has published eight books, 150 articles in scientific journals and collective volumes and 50 excavation reports. A full list of his publications may be found in his Festschrift (2015), pp. 18-23.
Career: Research Associate of the 9th Exhibition of the Council of Europe "Byzantine Art, a European Art" (1963-1964). Curator of Byzantine Antiquities (1965-1973, 1975-1976). He served in the 5th District of Byzantine Antiquities (Epirus, Aetolia, Akarnania and Ionian Islands) based in Ioannina. Professor of Byzantine Archaeology and Art at the Universities of Thessaloniki (1976-1987) and Athens (1987-1997). Full Member of the Academy of Athens since 2000. President in 2007. Publications Secretary since 2009.
Fellow of the Archaeological Society at Athens, honorary member of the Reading Society of Corfu, fellow of the Sicilian Institute for Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Studies "Bruno Lavagnini", member of the Christian Archaeological Society (Athens), the Greek Committee for Byzantine Studies, the Committee of Greek Studies for Southeast Europe, the Society for Macedonian Studies and the Greek Society for the Protection of Nature. Member of the Board of the Institute for Balkan Studies, Thessaloniki (1981-1989).
Awards: Foreign member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Knight of the Order of the Star of the Italian Solidarity (Cavaliere dell'Ordine della Stella della Solidarietà Italiana). Doctor h.c. of the Democritus University of Thrace. Associate fellow of the Centre for Byzantine Research of the University of Thessaloniki.