Archaeology [Ceramics] (2012)
He was born in 1947 in Andros. He studied at the Faculty of Philosophy of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1965-1971) where he had been working from 1975 to 2014 when he was appointed Professor Emeritus. In 1976 he obtained his Ph.D. and in 1981 he was appointed Lecturer. In 1987 he was elected Full Professor of Classical Archaeology at the School of History and Archaeology of the Aristotle University. In the years from 1977 to 1979 he continued his studies at the Archaeological Institute of Bonn as an Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung scholar.
He has participated in numerous excavations of archaeological sites. From 1990 to 2002 he directed the excavations of the ancient settlement at Sindos (Thessaloniki Prefecture) and from 1994 to 2014 he was also the Director of the university excavations at Karabournaki, Thessaloniki.
During his tenure at the School of History and Archaeology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, he has been Chairman of the Department of Archaeology (1989-1993) and Director of the program of Postgraduate Studies of the Department (1997-1999). He has been a member of the Board of Directors of the National Bank of Greece Cultural Foundation, the Board of the Hellenic Foundation for Culture and of other foundations. He has also been a member of the plenary session of the Greek National Committee for UNESCO (1992-1994), the National Advisory Board on Research (1994-1998), the National Board for Research and Technology (2001-2004 and 2008-2009) and of others.
He is also a member of the German Archaeological Institute of Berlin, the Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europea and of other organizations. In 1999 he was conferred an Honorary Degree of Doctor by the University of Bern. In 2011 he was elected a regular member of the Academy of Athens.